WooCommerce, very simply put, is just another free WordPress Plugin. That doesn’t mean it’s usefulness is limited; far from that. Since its launch in September 2011, it has been downloaded more than one and a half million times – that’s how popular it is!
But what makes it so great for startups? Let’s take a look:
1. It’s 100% free:That’s good news for a fledgling company. While there are several good CMSs for e-commerce sites, you have to pay for all of them. WooCommerce, on the other hand, is open-source, and free to download.
2. User-friendly: Being a WordPress plugin, anyone who has used it will recognize the WP interface and navigate a WooCommerce site smoothly. The chances that a user may have used WordPress are high, as more than half of the top websites existing currently are created on this platform. And we all know how user-friendly the WordPress interface is. This familiarity will help save time, avoid confusion and enhance creativity.
3. Extremely Flexible: when you have a WooCommerce e-commerce site, you can be very flexible with your products even if you’re technically challenged – and that’s a big boon for startups. You can categorize your products, give them individual characteristics, sale prices and so on. What’s more, you can sell downloadable, virtual, physical or even affiliate products – that’s a lot of things you can do with your site!
4. Highly Customizable: WooCommerce is free, but you can customize to your heart’s content. You can implement several tweaks to your site and make it look unique. As of now, there are about 39 enables themes from which you can choose; most of them are free too. Even after selecting the theme, you can tweak the code, and try your hand at checking out the special features that come with each theme, change the default CSS styles and so on, to create an exclusive look.
5. Professional Online Store Solution: Surprisingly, this free platform has inbuilt detailed order tracking capability and tools for customer engagement; this will allow you to check orders in the past and current (open), update delivery status, apply discount codes and so on. Other features that can be found in WooCommerce which will greatly benefit startups are: inventory control, coupon codes, tax settings, shipping preferences, and nearly everything else your startup will need for a professional e-commerce site.
6. Inbuilt Analytics: As an entrepreneur, you need to be able to track the results of your business so that you know what works and what doesn’t, and can take the requisite action. Often, owners of startups are not familiar with implementing analytics on their sites; this is where WooCommerce comes to the rescue with its built-in analytics tool. It offers a wide range of data like individual customer stats, total sales, sales by date, average order totals and so on are graphically presented, right in the admin panel.
7. Extra Functionality: You’ve seen how easily you can use WooCommerce for your startup for a professional online business solution; it also offers extra functionality through its many extensions – some free, some paid. Accounting, marketing, payment gateways, reporting – you can find apps for all of these.
8. Ecommerce and more: WooCommerce makes it easy for users to create e-commerce sites with its familiar interface; simultaneously, it allows them to do a whole lot more. You can have a fully functional store along with a professional site and with a blog integration to boot. All these aspects of your startup’s online presence are centralized and seamlessly integrated and presented.